As Paulie already mentioned, as many of us as possible are going to be going to be providing live libertarian coverage of tonight’s GOP debate in Manchester, New Hampshire. If Wordpress doesn’t screw up, we’re going to be using this post for that purpose, continually editing it when we have comments - which will probably be often. All you have to do is refresh occasionally (if your browser for some reason decides to cache it and you don’t get any new comments, press ctrl+R to reload without caching). If Wordpress has issues we might have to improvise something, but aside from that, just come to this post when the debate starts (at 7 Eastern Standard Time).
- [6:49] CNN nicely distills the race to 3 candidates in each party. Great job, guys.
- [6:59] Paul is on the far right.
- [7:00] Blitzer: Candidates can take as long as I let them.
- [7:04] Romney: I’ll answer the questions I want, damn it! Giuliani: INVADE EVERYONE!
- [7:06] McCain: I didn’t read anything about Iraq, but I know everything! Brownback: I held hearings, but I don’t want to answer your question. I want to chop up Iraq.
- [7:11] McCain: wars are good, even if Democrats start them. There’s a domino theory at work.
- [7:13] Brokeback. I mean Brownback: The Iraqi congress gets to vote on US spending! Haven’t you read the constitution?!
- [7:15] Ron Paul: Everyone here is talking nonsense so I think I’ll be different.
- [7:15] Hucksterbee: If you don’t think Reagan ended the USSR, invented sliced bread, and led the Hebrews across the Sinai, you are an Al Qaida sympathizer.
- [7:18] Dunkin’ Hunter: Iran reminds me of Cambodia.
- [7:20] Hunter and Giuliani: Nuke Iran!
- [7:21] Romney, Gilmore: Yeah, we agree. Moslems will be more moderate that way.
- [7:23] Tancredo: Wait, we can’t just hate middle easterners! We need to hate Latinos and Asians too!
Ein Reich! Ein Volk! Hispanischen Raus!
- [7:25] Giuliani: I want the government to track everything ever.
- [7:26] McCain: But wait, there are great privacy-invading features in my amnesty bill!
- [7:27] McCain, please shut up.
- [7:28] Giuliani: We need to keep people from leaving the US, too. And bring back Total Information Awareness and TIPS!
- [7:31] Tancredo: We need a new Berlin Wall. Or maybe a Great Wall, like China.
- [7:34] Paul: Don’t subsidize illegal immigration. More applause. (But I support the wall too, just not with Canada!)
- [7:39] Thompson. Yeah, we need a new one in the race. But not Fred. Ed.
- [7:41] Romney: I experienced a heartfelt conversion on many issues which will help me win the Republican nomination.
- [7:43] Hucksterbee: Many of my opponents are atheist heathens who believe in evil-lution.
- [7:45] Brownback: Am not!
- [7:46] McCain: Am Not!
- [7:47] Romney: I’m a Mormon. I believe in a church-run state too.
- [7:47] Paul: Federalism. No, seriously now. Federalism.
- [7:48] Giuliani: I don’t know if global warming is real, but if it helps the government get more power and money, I’ll agree with it. (most Republicans proceed to agree).
- [7:52] Ron Paul: Quit subsidizing oil corporations and going to war on their behalf.
- [7:53] Gilmore: Let’s not just nuke the middle east. America should be nuked too.
- [7:54] Paul: People being gay is not the issue. Disruption is the issue, if straights cause disruption, they should face the same problems. Not a bad answer on a weird question.
- [7:56] Giuliani: In a time of WAR WAR WAR WAR WAR WAR WAR WAR WAR
- [7:59] None of the Republicans would allow gays to serve openly in the military, but some would allow them to serve as long as they are in the closet.
- [7:59] Thompson: I want Bush to teach kids how to love the government.
- [8:01] Several people: Reagan was awesome. Bush, not so much.
- [8:04] Hucksterbee: TSA gropers are great. They should grope Mexicans, too.
- [8:05] Several Republicans: we’re tough on crime! But we should pardon Republican operatives who out CIA agents for political retribution. Also, border agents who shoot Mexicans fleeing back across the border in the ass, especially if they were smuggling pot.
- [8:15] Hunter: If we can have anywhere between 5-20 years until the next war in Iraq, it’s totally worth it.
- [8:17] Brownback: Let’s divide up Iraq, create an army in each one, and sell weapons to all of them!
- [8:18] McCain: More war is the surest way to peace!
- [8:19] Ron Paul: We’re not the world’s policeman. Lead by example instead.
- [8:19] Giuliani: “People can only embrace democracy when they have ordered lives. So we should order it for them.” God I hate Giuliani.
- [8:23] Gilmore: National security depends on government subsidies for oil corporations and shielding nuclear and oil corporations from liability.
- [8:24] Giuliani: I’m going to make sense about health care just to confuse people. I don’t think I really mean it. Suckers!
- [8:26] Hunter: I have no idea what free enterprise means.
- [8:31] Romney: Fascist health care is better than socialist health care.
- [8:33] Hucksterbee: I’m pro-life, unless you are of draftable age or a dirty foreigner. I love the welfare state, too.
- [8:35] Giuliani: It’s a moral imperative to force foreigners to be free. Also, we’re a lot like the communists and fascists we forced to be free, now we’re friends, so I think it will work with the Jihadists too.
- [8:35] Paul: Pre-emptive war is a really, really bad idea.
- [8:36] Brownback: We need to defend “life” around the world.
- [8:38] Romney: Damn, I just got owned.
- [8:42] McCain: Immigrants are great if they can be used to invade other foreign countries! Yo hablo mucho Espanol. Yo readedo el libre de Dondero.
- [8:45] Giuliani: If you liked what I did for the NYPD, like shooting unarmed suspects 41 times and putting plungers in people’s asses, you’ll love what I’ll do for America.
- [8:47] Brownback: I have a government cure for cancer.
- [8:48] Gilmore: We are the party of principle. And that principle is xenophobia.
- [8:50] Tancredo: Ask not who wants to come to this country. Ask who this country can keep out.
- [8:51] Hucksterbee: Immigrants are great, as long as they serve the interests of big corporations and government revenues.
- [8:52] Giuliani: We need more great Presidents like Lincoln and more great generals like Sherman. I can be both.
- [8:53] McCain: I think this is a good time to lavish more cheap praise on Reagan to get a cheap applause line.
- [8:55] Duncan Hunter: I’m more like Reagan than you are.
- [8:56] Romney: No, I am.
- [8:57] Giuliani: No, I am. And I hate terrorists the most.
- [8:58] McCain: No, I hate terrorists the most.
I am at TG’s house, and we have SG on the phone. We are trying hard to put up some video, but the two bottles of red seem to be slowing the mind and not the mouth. Here is a rundown of our initial thoughts.
Miche: OMG! Giuliani was struck by lightning! OK, not really but it did distort the feed.
TG: Miche, Do you now believe in God?
Miche: I will when Ron Paul gets the Repugnant nom. But can you believe that RP still wants a fence? I hope he was being as honest as ever when he spoke of scapegoats.
TG: Can you believe that he supports “Don’t ask, don’t tell?”
Miche: That really bites.
Here’s a photo:Print This Post